SICB Annual Meeting 2014
January 3-7, 2014
Austin, TX - Hilton Austin
NOTE: Need to apply for a visa? Go to http://www.ustraveldocs.com/
SICB 2014 Annual Meeting Headlines
- Annual meeting attendance was robust despite travel woes.
- Executive Committee Actions:
- SICB forms a new Division of Ecoimmunology and Disease Ecology
- New Orleans chosen as the 2017 annual meeting site.
- SICB presents honorary memberships to Plenary speaker Randy Olson and Moore lecturer Ross Nehm.
- Mike Hadfield receives the first “M. Patricia Morse Award for Excellence and Innovation in Science Education.”
- Dan Warner presents Bart lecture.
- Lou Guillette presents Bern lecture.
- Connie O’Connor wins Dorothy Skinner Award.
- SICB announces search for new editor of Integrative and Comparative Biology as Editor Hal Heatwole steps down in 2016 after ten years of service.
Best Student Presentation Winners receive awards sponsored by Wiley/Blackwell. Award winners are announced.
For a Visa Invitation letter please email JDrupa@BurkInc.com
|Announcing the SICB Annual Meeting 2014 Mobile App! |
Click here for details.
IMPORTANT: You can download the personal schedule you created on sicb.org into the app. Note that this is a ONE WAY export from website to app. The data are forwarded to the app server at least once a day. You might have to wait for a few hours until your personal schedule changes on sicb.org arrive in the app.
Sponsors and Exhibitors
- Exhibitor Information
- Advertising Information
- Sponsorship Information
- Exhibitor Sponsored Workshop: Anatomy In Clay® Learning System Workshop (Friday, 1/3, Noon-5 PM) - No Fee, register through link
- Exhibitor Sponsored Workshop: Fundamentals of Video Capture and Motion Analysis Workshop (Friday, 1/3, 3-5 PM) - No Fee, register through link
- Secure Online Meeting Registration
- Meeting Brochure (PDF) including printable registration form (via FAX or postal mail)
For information on exhibiting, sponsorship and advertising please contact Siobhan Tabor STabor@burkinc.com
Presenter Deadline is 8 November 2013 - Early Fee Deadline is 6 December 2013
ERRATA Sheet - Changes & Additions (PDF)
Randy Olson "Storytelling skills: Now mandatory for a career in science."
Randy Olson is a scientist-turned filmmaker, who earned his Ph.D. with former SICB President Ken Sebens. Randy was a Professor of Marine Biology at the University of New Hampshire until he became an independent filmmaker. Randy is the creator of "Flock of Dodos," a documentary film focused on controversies associated with teaching evolution in schools, and "Sizzle: A Global Warming Comedy," both award-winning films. He is also the author of "Don't Be Such a Scientist: Talking Substance in an Age of Style," which presents a model for effective communication of technical information to a broad audience.
- Bartholomew Award Lecture Sat Jan 4, 7-8 PM, 4th Floor Ballroom
- Bern Lecture Sun Jan 5, 7-8 PM, 4th Floor Ballroom
- Moore Lecture Tues Jan 7, 4-5 PM, Governors Ballroom A-C
Information for Presenters
Awards & Contests
The Broadening Participation committee is accepting about 14 more applications for travel awards ($500 each) for postdocs and asst. professors for Austin 2014. Contact Michele Nishiguchi directly for an application form via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a favorite photomicrograph you'd like others to see? It could be the winner! The 2014 Buchsbaum Photo Contest, sponsored by the American Microscopical Society, will be held during the SICB meeting. The contest is a memorial to Ralph Buchsbaum, pioneer in cell and tissue culture of animals and champion of photomicrography, and its aim is to encourage microscopical-biological photography. Details can be found on the American Microscopical Society's website: http://amicros.org/?page_id=9
Hotel and Travel
Preferred Sitters will be the childcare service in Austin, Texas. We have been providing superior child daycare services for years, for corporate and government events. Be assured that your child will be cared for in a fun, active and caring environment while you are in your sessions. We have lots of activities planned for your children, like crafts, Lego building competitions, story-time, Pictionary, and LOTS more!
Childcare at the Austin Meeting will be heavily subsidized by SICB, leaving the participants with a $7.00 per hour, per child cost. To register please email email@example.com with the following information: Full name, telephone number, email address, children's name, age and any special instructions/needs. Preferred Sitters will respond within 48 hours with confirmation and will assign a "ticket number".
Annual Meeting Registration Fee Schedule
First fee is through 6 Dec 2013, second is after 6 Dec 2013; member fees are for those paying 2013 SICB annual dues.
- SICB Loyal Member (member for last 3 years) $275, $335
- SICB Member $330, $390
- SICB Student Member $99, $160
- SICB Postdoc or Emeritus Member $220, $280
- Non-member but joining SICB as a "full member" - includes membership $440, $500
- Non-member $440, $500
- Student Non-member but joining SICB - includes membership $140, $200
- Student Non-member $440, $500
- Postdoc Non-member but joining SICB - includes membership $270, $330
- Postdoc Non-member $440, $500
- High School and Community College Teachers $99, $160
- Companion $77, $105
- One Day Only $165, $220
- Full Members of co-sponsoring Societies (AMS, ABS, and TCS) are eligible for the SICB member rate
- Student rates apply only to SICB student members.