For StudentsStudents are an important part of the SICB. Students bring an exciting new perspective and excitement in the science they present. SICB values this next generation of scientists and shows it in many ways. Annual meetings have opportunities for students to earn monetary support and participate in the program of the meeting. There are several programs aimed at supporting student attendance at the annual meeting and for supporting student research.
Awards for Student Presentations at the Annual Meeting
Support for Annual Meeting Attendance
- Charlotte Mangum Student Support Program
- Dorothy M. Skinner Award - for women Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Broadening Participation Committee Travel Award
Grants and Scholarships to Support Student Research and Field Work
- Grants in Aid of Research (GIAR) - established in 1996 to provide small awards to graduate students in support of their research in the fields of integrative and comparative biology.
- Fellowship of Graduate Student Travel (FGST) - established in 2002 to provide student funds for travel and other expenses at distant research laboratories, museums, or field sites.
- Libbie H. Hyman Memorial Scholarship - provides assistance to students to take courses or to pursue research on invertebrates at a marine, freshwater, or terrestrial field station.
CommitteesSICB also has two standing committees that serve student members: the Student Postdoctoral Affairs Committee to provide programs of special interest to student and postdoctoral members at the annual meeting, and the Student Support Committee for overseeing grants and travel awards to students. A full member serves as chair of the Student/Postdoctoral Affairs Committee, with graduate or postdoctoral students appointed from each division. Full members of the society serve on the Student Support Committee.
Useful Links for Students and Postdocs
Xi : Grants-In-Aid of Research -- March 15 and October 15 deadlines
Acad. Sci. USA: Web Guide to Enhancing the Postdoctoral Experience:
- Student/Postdoctoral Affairs Committee: "What Editors Want: Paving the Way to Publication - Do's and Don'ts When Submitting Papers":
- External Grant and Fellowship Opportunities for Students and Postdocs - extensive listing for SICB members only.